SLIDE1

Friday, June 10, 2016

Dutch Merkelbach Wheel

Well, we all knew it would happen. I had been eyeing off this type of wheel for awhile as the castle style was literally an all-in-one wheel with the distaff, skeiner with flyer above and lazy kate. So when I saw the Saxony version I had to sit on my hands. I didn't bid initially, but when it was $99 I couldn't resist. So it became mine and I planned the 3+hour trip to Moruya


The drive was nice with a mixture of coastal cities, wooded drive and of course country! I couldn't take many pictures sadly and it was a grey day.

I picked up the wheel and started the long drive home. I should have planned things better because I passed so many cool shops I would have liked to spend time investigating on the way home. But is was 4pm on a grey Sunday.

I stopped in at Mogo, which wasn't too far and bought a patchwork kit from Rosemount the Patchwork Shop.

They also had a antique store attached which had a great museum of sewing machines. 




I also saw a leather store and picked up a large scrap which I will cut and decorate into a lap mat for when I am flicking. There should also be enough to make something to protect my combs and carders.

Finally I stopped in at Berry as it was getting late and dark to get some fuel for my body. I had noticed on my way past in going to get the wheel they had mentioned Alpaca burgers. So I just had to stop and try it.


It was a nice, and had a nice gamey taste to it. I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, but I am glad I tried it. 

After almost 7 hours of driving and some of it in pitch black, rain in the highway I got home. 

I like the wheel, but I am not in love with it. The wheel comes apart easily and is a double drive. It is very light wood which I am not a fan off (I like a bit of heft in my wheel). The orifice is super tiny, I have been told this is a flax wheel or spinning silk. I really like the way they have a spot above the skeiner where you put your bobbins. The bobbins are SUPER tiny, like palm of the hand tiny. I took this to my spinning class and it caught the attention of my spinning teacher. So after an easy thought this wheel is going to be passed on to my teacher who will appreciate it much more than me. If I had the room for wheels that could just sit there and look pretty and create my own spinning museum it would stay. Alas! I am glad it will go to a good home. 

3 comments:

*add* While this wheel is gone from my house I get to see it every time I walk in the front door of my spinning hot spot! So that is lovely to see it being admired and a place with many wheels.

This looks quite a bit like my great-grandmother's wheel, brought over from Holland in 1875. I have always wondered what the holes in the table were for. Is there anyone you know of who is making all those extra accessories? I have the wheel, treadle and the spindle. I'd love to make it fully operational.

thanks, Ellen

Merkelbach b.v. is still an active company. They are in Lieshout in the Netherlands.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More