SLIDE1

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Peggy's

1980 Little Peggy
Well, I am down to 6 wheels again as the recent acquisition, the Little Peggy, is on its way to a new home. I took her down to Petlins as part of spinning class. We found out she was made in 1980 and while not in perfect condition, could easily be spruced up with some wax and wood glue to make a great little wheel. Since I bought it home and found it was almost too identical to my Wee Peggy with nothing new to offer. As I was feeling a bit under the pump with other activities (uni, spinning entries for the show etc) I wasn't feeling too motivated to fix it up just yet. So I posted it on the hand spinners group at the same price I purchased it mentioning what TLC was needed and within moments, someone was asking for it.

So today the Little Peggy found a new home. While impractical to consider whether the new owner would be a good owner this wheel is definitely going to better home. All the others went to new spinners. These lovely people have more wheels than me and the gentleman was picking up Little Peggy for his girlfriend and I spent a good half hour chatting about wheels and cats and my little purrer got lots of attention. He even now has a fan club and I am still trading cat pictures with the wheel's new owner.
Last two digits are the year

Upside down, Wee Peggy is 1986 the same year as me!


One of the things between chatting at Petlins and the new owner is the similarities and differences of the Wee Peggy and the Little Peggy which is very interesting. So Peggy knowledge!

Both of these wheels originate in New Zealand (Dunedin) and made by John Rappard. John began making wheels full time in 1970. Practically all Rappard wheels are made from a New Zealand wood, Southern Beech. There were a few wheels before The Peggy's. Both the Little and Wee evolved from Shetland Wheels. The big difference between the wheels lies in the Little Peggy was sold assembled and the Wee Peggy was sold as a kit and was able to be exported.
Little Peggy and Wee Peggy from Mel's NattyKnits Collection

NZ Spinning Wheels has the prices listed as Little NZ$88 and Wee NZ$63 back in 1977. There was around 20,000 wheels made before production ceased. Under the wheels you can see the year made (last to digits) and even other information like which wheel production number etc. Ashford did make and supply a few Wee Peggy's  in 1997 with variation that can be read about and seen here.

The most obvious difference can be seen at the maidens and flyer. Depending on the year built (timeline of Little Peggy changes) the flyer is either on the left or right of the maidens and the Little Peggy has two Maidens. The Wee Peggy has one tall maiden at the back and the flyer sits central to the drive wheel. There are other differences based on ease of assembly for the Wee Peggy and my sturdier construction choices of the Little Peggy. However at a glance that is the biggest difference.

When buying a Peggy there are 3 pieces that tend to be missing, the tension peg, orifice hook and the random upright to keep bobbins in.
Random bobbin stopper!


Orifice Hook outside of its holding hole!
Tension knob to allow the Peggy's to go scotch tension.
The Little Peggy had it all, but my Wee Peggy is missing a tension peg I am sourcing right now. Till then she is double drive.

In the end, they spin the same and despite the changes of the year look very, very similar. So if I had unlimited space I would have kept her, but my limited space means the wheels have to have meaning or a unique use. My Wee Peggy is made the same year as mine and I got it from a seller whose story resonates with my PhD. I am saving my space for a Spinolution wheel next year! Or Golding if I hit the jackpot!

3 comments:

Hello! I was glad to find your blog this morning as I am researching a wheel that I am considering purchasing. They have listed it as an Ashford, but it must really be a Rappard Little Peggy due to its having two tall maidens.
From the one photo I've seen, it looks to be in good condition; the wood looks well cared for, with a nice sheen, except for the treadle where there is obvious wear.
I have never purchased a wheel before and am new to spinning. They are asking $325 Cdn and I wonder if that seems like a reasonable price to you for a Little Peggy.
Also, how open to $ negotiation have you found wheel sellers to be? I don't want to insult them by trying to haggle.
Thank you!
Jess

Hi Jess!
Peggy's are great wheels. Ashford did make them near the end (and rumours of them starting again). So it could possibly be an Ashford version or just an easy confusion.

Being from Australia price is a little harder to figure. When I converted the cost to AUD it is a price I would pay for a well maintained Peggy. It's at the higher end of what I would pay. In saying that Peggy's are probably far easier to get here. So you would be paying for the rarity as well. But it seems a far price if it has 4 bobbins, tension knob and all the parts I mentioned. Wear on the treadle is not to bad an super common.

I have found most are willing to negotiate a little. I always negotiate and by how much depends on how much I want the wheel. If this was in great condition and had all it's part I might offer $300. If it is missing parts and I wasn't too worried about losing it, I might offer around $250.

If it's a little Peggy they are considered the better wheel over wee Peggy and less common. So would hold a higher price.

Good luck with the wheel, if it's in good condition I think you could be very happy with it around that price.

I have just bought a wee peggy that hasn't been used for some years. I've managed to get her spinning, but despite lots of oil, its quite hard work treadling. The wheel just doesn't soon freely enough. Any suggestions?

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More