SLIDE1

Friday, March 11, 2016

Stickler for Punishment!

No not another wheel, but I have signed up to earn my Certificate of Competency in Handspinning or CCHS with the NSW Handweavers and Spinners Guild. Why you may ask? As some of your may have gleaned from my mention of graduate studies I am an academic by nature. So I enjoy a bit of stucture, ticking off competnecy and of course certificates! I should be completing this at the same time I finish my PhD. So which certificate will I be more proud of!

NSW Guild Logo
As the Guild states the CCHS is a comprehsneive course of study. The course covers: 

  • knowledge and use of spinning equipment and tools;
  • study of various fibres such as wool, cotton, mohair, alpaca, flax, ramie, hemp, silk and cashmere; and synthetic fibres; and
  • study of design aspects such as colour theory and designer yarns.

The CCHS is split into two parts witht he first part focused more on academic knowledge and basic wool spinning. At the end of Part 1 there will be a large folder of information and samples showing different technqiues (plying, changing speeds/whorls etc) to demonstrate the basic functions of the wheel. Also included is sevral skines of wool which need to include smaples that are both woolen and worsted in three different thicknesses (thin, medium and thick).

On completion and passing this assessment one can then move onto part 2 which looks at different fibres. If one passes this and wishes to do further study there is an Advanced Certificate too look forward to or a change of hobby into weaving (which I one day wish to rekindle).

During this time I can't share any of the work I do towards it till after assessment. However I hope to add a huge section of skiens when I am finished and update the education tab (Yes I will start putting things there soon)!

I also signed up for the guilds Beyond the Basics spinning classes. I think that is the right level and I really want to figure out my long draw! Now that I will have lots of skiens to show.

So my road right now is to put together 3 small skiens in the next month. These are nto for examination, but to check that I am heading the right direction over the next 2 years.
Polworth being investigated by Kitty

For the moment I have some Polworth from Petlins to get started on my medium thickness spins! I find fine spinning easy, so my task is to learn to spine thicker! I'll do a bit of a post on this breed as I learn more for my own knowledge bank. Right now I have some lovely Merino on my wheel, but it is sitting on the white section right now and is too boring to photograph. Soon though I will show you evidence that I actually use these wheels. Still loving the WooleeWinder, almost too much as needs attention. I need to learn hw to use a drill and get the bobbins going on it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More