SLIDE1

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Andean Plying and Tools


One of the plying types I have a love-hate relationship with is the Andean Plying. This technique allows you to use one bobbin of singles and ply it onto itself. The trick is you wind you singles onto your hand or a tool in a special way that allows you to make a bracelet around your wrist that will freely run the each end as it makes a continuous loop of the single to create a 2ply.

Andean Plying Tutorial
http://www.mielkesfiberarts.com/andean-plying-instructions/
POSITIVES:
You use fewer bobbins (only 1 vs the 3 of standard 2 ply)
You use up all the singles and don't have to worry about getting to even bobbins of singles

NEGATIVES
If you are using your hand you end up chained to your equipment and it's not as easy to set aside quickly
You can allow load so much on your hand before you dislocate a finger, and while you can keep making chains on your wrist having stuff wrapped around your fingers is not easy.

If you are like me and enjoy this spinning, but don't like using your hands (if like me you have joint issues) to load the singles you can by an Andean Plying Tool.

I recently picked up Nancy's Knit Knacks Handy Andy Plying tool from Fiberific
Kitty only wants pictures taken when he is not the topic of the picture

Comes with a reat little case everything just slides into.
Here is a great video by Chantelle the owner of Fiberific demonstrating how to use this little too. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but I can't wait to try it.


Etsy also has lots of other tools available. Though this one for the price is a lot nicer than some available to Australians. Also with shipping and USD-AUD it gets pretty close.

I like that this one has a base so you can leave the bracelet on the tool and ply with two free hands. I also like that you put the tail in the little notches at the bottom as one issue I keep having when hand plying is where I put the tail so I don't stuff up!



Others have made their own adaptions of these using books and this was my try (and fail) at doing so.
I lost so much of my single is a giant twisted mess after this!



1 comments:

Titanium Red & Yellow | Titanium Type: Hot - TITIAN Art
In the US, America produces many of the hottest new, and most common, models, like babyliss pro nano titanium the iconic Fiery titanium machining Heart titanium hair dye Red and titanium wheels Orange. titanium mug For example, in North America, the

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More