SLIDE1

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

PLY Magazine

I have been eyeing off subscribing to a spinning magazine for awhile. After much discussion, I decided to investigate PLY magazine. Ply magazine is a bit different than standard magazines. People told it is more akin to a journal. Each publication has a topic which the articles focus on. Currently, they have the First Issue, Colour, Woolen, Silk, Twist, Community, Worsted, Leicester, Fine, Texture, Singles and Cotton. This is a quarterly publication that started in summer 2013 with their 'First' Issue (which is so well liked they can't keep it in stock. They stick predominantly to wheel spinning while including a bit of spindle spinning. Any extras like knitting, weaving etc is specifically related to the spinning topic.

There are no distributors in Australia anymore, but the previous wholesaler had some back issues available so I bought 4 to investigate. Out of the 12 issues already out and what was left available I purchased Woolen, Worsted, Fine and Cotton. These magazines are very sturdy and I enjoy the focus of an issue being singular vs. lots of random articles. They even have examples to follow like knitting patterns based on the singles you spun. While it has ads they aren't obstructive and many are made specifically for the article (The cotton and fine one have an add about the Majacraft lace flyer and why this piece of equipment suits the style being investigated.

Part of the cotton issue
The magazines also allow for a lot of spinners comments on the topic as well, as there are very few things in spinning that are so cut and dry with only one way to do it. So it is interesting not to only read the experts opinions, but also your everyday spinner. In one issue they also did a blind test of the WooleeWinder with 3 mystery spinners to get their opinion on the equipment. 

The photography and graphic design work that goes into this makes it a beautiful magazine. When I asked if anyone had any back issues they wanted to rehome I was met with much laughter at the hilarity that anyone would sell any issue. I would like to eventually get all the back issues, but there are a couple of topics I think I will leave till very last. The website has information on what each magazine has in it and after reading them I will leave the community one (talks about things like Ravlery and Craftsy and the online community I am already very well aware of) and Leicester (SHEEP!). I am keen to get my hands on silk, twist and colour.

Each one has a funny cartoon related to the topic

So after going through the back issues I bit the bullet and purchased a year's subscription (and chucked in the back issues of texture and single). The upcoming topics all look like skills and topics I would highly appreciate getting information on. Next up is the Bulky Issue, then BouclĂ©, then the one I am highly anticipating PLYING! and finally the Down Issue (not quite sure about this one, but I am sure they will do quite well if they are presenting all types of Fiber down. 

Prices for back issues seem to vary a little between sellers, but the official store has them from $10-$11. Depending on your country the Subscriptions range a bit, in Australia it jumps to $64USD. Unfortunately, due to the quality of the printing material and extensive writing, these are not light. So shipping can jump up to $65! So I can't wait till an Australian seller comes back into the fold. 

Now to read my issues extensively while I wait for the next issue!









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More