SLIDE1

Saturday, April 16, 2016

The Spinning Pen





You can't see it here but the top I was spinning matched my shirt
So today (and tomorrow) I was a demo spinner at a country show. It was an interesting setup. In the middle of the building we were in with all the arts and crafts, there is a section that had a pen areas with a gate and everything where we spinners and other crafters were corraled for patrons to walk about and check us out like the other livestock. I had a good time ad even went to say hi to the alpacas and asked them who wanted to be a sweater. I am hoping on the last day tomorrow some breeders will be wanting to sell off their fleeces.








At these shows, I seem to have the knack of sniffing out the one small basket of fibre available in an entire show. Last time I got the kid mohair. This time, I managed two small bags of cashmere! I grabbed the white and natural brown. While I am not anywhere skilled enough to spin it, cashmere is not easy to find so I am storing it aside. I also showed another few spinners the hidden treasure. I also picked up a skein of spun and dyed 100% cashmere. This skein came with a scarf pattern that could be made with the one skein. It was a hard job deciding which colours as it is not cheap!


While there were many spinners in the craft pen there were a few other crafts including lace making and wet felting. I made friend with the lace maker and mentioned this craft was on my list and I had some cheap bobbins at home from eBay to get ready.  She actually had some starter kits available so I nabbed that too.

Finally, I got the results for the entries I put into the craft competition. I put in 4 skeins (one that placed in the previous show) and 3 crochet items. Never being to this show and believing it was probably smaller compared to the city show I didn't realise I was competing against many people with more experience than I have years to my name. So I got a Highly commended in the novice section (kinda like an example of me almost graduating from being a novice. The others didn't place (even the one that took second before and won a special category).


Mix of alpaca, Corriedale and silk.

I did much better than I anticipated in the crochet section. With my shawl (Virus Shawl) taking out first place in crocheted shawls and a doll (Lalylala Kira Pattern) getting second place. My crocheted jacket didn't place. So not a bad effort seeing I took up crochet when I moved to this city barely a year ago. This show gives feedback, so this will be immensely helpful. There is at least two more shows interstate I will be aiming to send items to.

I spent ages sewing in that Joey so it wouldn't get lost. 

Using Moda Vera Fayette 
I didn't get many other photos but here are two more! 
Yes! That is a syringe filled with Nutella. 
Cool wet felted shoulder thing with lots of feathers off it

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More