SLIDE1

Monday, March 14, 2016

Spinning Knobs and Broomsticks

Ever since I got my Wee Peggy I have been searching for a tension knob. Seems a silly thing to be after when it will run double drive no sweat. However, I liked the idea of a complete wheel. So I have spent ages asking around spinning places and groups to no avail. When I got the Little Peggy I was tempted to take the tension knob of that one and sell the wheel sans tension knob. However to my dismay, the tension knob was way too loose and redundant (plus at risk of being lost easily). So after many fails, I got a win. While doing my window shopping on Etsy I came across a seller who was doing hand made whorls for Peggy's and Wendy spinning wheels (old NZ wheels). On further investigation of their site I contacted them asking if they did tension knobs (seeing they did so many other woodcrafting). To my delight, I got a yes and directed to order from their site VJ Handycrafts and Spinning Wheels.

So my order was put in with specific instructions it had to look like the Peggy one NOT a standard Ashford one (I got burned before). So, on the 1st of March, I put in my order and got a notification it was on its way on the 8th and here it is 14 days later handcrafted from NZ.

I opened my package with some trepidation and having just come off a really bad day at uni was hoping for some good news!

Also well attached is some tension line and spring!
Not only was it the right design it was the darker wood I mentioned my wheel was!

And it fit and could be used as an actual tension knob! A coat of wax and this will be an indistinguishable match!

So I am very happy my wheel is now complete! It cost a bit more than your standard knob and I do realise that it is not a difficult design to do. However, the convenience and knowing it will actually fit and match the wheel was worth the price!

So multiple accolades to the owners of VJ Handycraft and Spinning for their quick responses, good work and quick well-packaged delivery. I am so glad someone has figured out how to make replicas of these well-loved, but no longer manufactured wheels for us spinners! They also repair and re-sell older wheels and many other wheel based products so are worth a look!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More