SLIDE1

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Wheel....7...

Yes this is where one starts to admit they have a problem. I claim they are antiques as well as functional. This is still under 6 months since I started spinning by this stage I had bought 6 wheels and sold 3. So at this stage I was down to 3 wheels (Traveller, Wee Peggy and E-Spinner). I thought I was fairly done. During this stage I had been doing lots of drooling over "future wheels". Future wheels are wheels that are expensive and are so well loved they rarely become available second-hand. During this time I had become enamoured with the NZ Majacraft wheels, especially the Aura.

The Aura
Drool!!

However this is about $1400-$1500 *cries*. So I had set a Majacraft Aura as a graduation present. So one day I was trolling facebook when I should be studying early December and guess what I found.......


Not an Aura, but a Majacraft Suzie. Knowing how quickly these things sell I jumped on it. I knew that if I didn't like it I could sell it on at the same price easily (and the comments after me asking to be next in line demonstrated that). So wheel 7 arrived packed to the brim with extra fibre (just some bobbins that missed the post and are coming soon.

The majacraft suzie is lovely to use and has some features I like. It is
Older Style Suzie
double treadle (which I love), but is scotch tension. Scotch tension is a bit better for finer spinning so I am going to set this wheel for fine spinning and my traveller as bulky spinning with its jumbo flyer. It has more variation in ratios with different ratios on the whorl and wheel. It is is portable and can be folded up with an on board Lazy Kate. The bobbins are boilable plastic with holes over the more common wood ones, which means they can be wet on the bobbin. I recently saw a Majacraft spindle attachment which will be on its way soon.


The Aura is still on my list for an ultimate wheel (and that includes American wheels I have checked, but until that time I am enjoying my introduction to Majacraft wheels on a wheel that many love as well. Who knows when I get the Aura what I do with this one, but she will be around for awhile yet. 



Look at all that Fibre, there is even a cat on the right to understand how much there is! Most Optim Merino



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More