SLIDE1

Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Dream List

Golding - Triple flyer - Taking Flight II
What triggered this post is I have been drooling after a particular wheel (those who have read previously can already guess) to the point I would watch videos on it and I think I have read every blog post about it. Strangely I have never tried it, so it is not like my traveller when I tried it beside the ashford kiwi and knew it was the best choice for me. It's interesting how my list changes with new discoveries. So this will be a sort of series every now and again to see how and why certain items pop on my list. This is also a practical list, so while I would love a Golding's Spinning wheel some cost more than my car!










Customised Aura for Woolwench.com
*BOUGHT*
So very soon (once I put in my research proposal this coming week) I am going to put an order in for a Majacraft Aura, hopefully with some customisation on it.

So why the Aura? I am not sure what got me into Majacraft (like how I don't know how I got into spinning), I must have seen one on a blog or facebook group. I love the style of it and after watching videos on its innovative tension system. I understand people either love it or hate the tension system. I did look out for places that have one to demo but unfortunately it was not meant to be. So I will be buying one untested, but I feel that seeing that I already own and like a Majacraft wheel that the chances are slim I'll dislike it. As for the tension system, I am so new to spinning I think I could easily switch between systems and learn to love one easier than someone who has spent years with a particular system.

So this wheel will be my present to me after all the stress and anxiety of this research proposal and also hopefully be a congratulations on passing the first hurdle in my candidature. These wheels take awhile to come as they are from NZ and also hand made, especially if I get one customised. So by the time I hear feedback on whether I can go forward on my research. I am very stressed about this. While I believe my supervisors wouldn't put it in if they thought I would fail one supervisor makes me doubt myself so very much. So present!


So what else is on my list (with less words!)
Majacraft Fusion Engine Drum Carder 
I already have an Inwood drum carder that works fine, but what I appreciate about this is:
- Interchangeable Drums (so you can use the same carder with different tpi cloths)
- Drums are designed to fibre doesn't catch in the sides (demo video)
- Handle folds in
- Additional injection tray for artbatts
- Gears over band or chain to drive the drums

I already have nice wool combs and while I would like a newer blending board and carders (any brand really I haven't found one type that is above and beyond any other brand) the only thing on my "need" list is cotton carders.

LOOMS!



I haven't talked about much beside spinning as of yet really. I do have an ashford rigid heddle, but now I have seen more I would prefer either the Majacraft dynamic heddle loom or Kromski Harp. Why do I prefer them? They both have the ability to fold up (like the Ashford Knitters loom), but both also have a warping board on the bottom which is invaluable for other looms as well and one less piece of equipment. Both also have stands, what I would need to figure is which sizes I would prefer, prices of extra equipment like heddles and the variety of size and adding a second heddle.


Floor loom wise I am enamoured by Saori looms, but they are limited in the number of shafts they have. However a floor loom would require my own house to put it in. So a floor loom will be put in the "wishful thinking" category unless I got my hands on a baby wolf 8 shaft.

Now just have to win a couple of million for all of this and a place to put all these items in. However a person can dream!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More