SLIDE1

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Some Assembly Required

This is one issue I do have with some wheels/equipment, the level of assembly required and the assumed tools. I realise it is cheaper to send items flat pack and Ikea it up. However, nothing diminishes the excitement of a long (very long) awaited package that you need to go out and buy stuff to use. And I'm not talking about having the wrong sized screwdriver you can pick up from your local or cheap store. My new part requires a drill and requires ME (who has never touched one) to drill into my expensive wheel to use my (not cheap) accessory.

So, on Distaff Day I decided I really wanted one and there was a distinct absence of handheld ones. So I splurged for an Ashford one during a sale and also got an extra jumbo double drive bobbin and tried to see if they still had any Wee Peggy tension knobs (they used to sell the wheel, you never know what they have sitting around). So over one month wait and my products arrive. The tension knob is just a standard Ashford one. Luckily I looked around and spied my old fixer upper had lost it's knob at some stage (might be in the car somewhere). So I guess that was a random win/lose. 

The bobbin is a bobbin, but as is my gripe with all Ashford products the only choice is unfinished. So now I have 2 bobbins, a jumbo flyer and a distaff I need to varnish. So either need to colour match it with my good wheel. Or find a colour I eventually want to paint my wheel and have mismatched items for awhile. 
The main issue I have is none of the sellers or websites seem to mention the need for such equipment and assembly. In fact, one website says it is quick and easy to assemble........ I'm sorry, but a bit of an assumption that everyone owns and has the ability to use a drill on their values wheels is a bit of an assumption. In the instructions all the wheels bar the traditional require this drilling to use your item.

Looks like I'm going to be asking either my spinning shop (I didn't buy  this from them as they were closed and this was on sale) if they may be able to drill two parts for me. Or failing that one of the spinners does a bit of woodwork and might be able to oblige. 

So instead of a post full of new item fun,trying out my distaff and putting the final piece of my Wee Peggy together I leave you with an unfinished bobbin....


2 comments:

I tried to find an ashford distaff to buy but ashford quit making them. Can you tell me the dimensions of the parts my husband said he would try to make one for me. Thanks, Lyvon @ wattfamco@sbcglobal.net

Lyvon - were your husband able to make it? I would love to have one too! I am willing to pay.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More