SLIDE1

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Silk and Distaffs



Now to figure out how to use it!
Todays spinning day had two extremes, gossamer silk and drills! We managed to get the distaff installed and get holes drilled in my other traveller so it can go on either. Now to get it varnished etc.
I took the mother-of-all of my old Traveller as well so I could have some space in my car and not cart 3 wheels and a loom. It needed disassembling anyway as it is my project wheel to restore. We used it first to practice before doing it to my better wheel (you can see it on the table behind).

The rest of the day was silk!!! We had been given some silk before hand for our homework. We are working on spinning two singles in silk and plying, then a single in silk and wool then ply and finally to blend it with wool and do a two ply. I managed to get my two ply silk done and a single ready for the wool ply. This was my first time with silk and I am loving it. I have been using my Suzie to spin the silk super thin.

Small 2 ply silk
We also tried different types of silk, today was silk hankies. With the wind (which was welcome after a very hot week) we hand silk dancing everywhere!
My silk flying into my neughbours coffee

Being skillful streatching the silk!
Toilet rolls a great item for rolling the silk hankies onto

My Suzie showing off her fine spinnng, we got to 40 or less WPI (the card couldn't go lower to check)

Those paying attention might have noticed I mentioned a loom. I noticed a free 4 shaft loom literally 3 streets away from me and after finding out it was about to get put out for council pickup of trash (god-forbid!). So I went down that day and picked it up. It's in need for TLC, but the price was right! So like my old Traveller this is a project item. I also got informed it was an Asford Loom from back in the day. I'll post some photos soon as it has been disassembled in my car for the past week. My car is its own storage unit and for the past month housed at least one sheeps fleece which is finally in the garage, but need better storage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More